Background

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Learning More Everyday

Lexis has been such a blessing in our lives, and I hate that I can't be a stay at home mom to teach her and show her what life is all about.  Hopefully some day that dream will become a reality, but until then I do my best to juggle my full time job as an insurance agent for USAA, my duties as a wife to my wonderful husband, and my joys of being a mother to my sweet angel, Lexis. 

I try to make sure she knows how much I love her, even if I can't spend all day with her.  I dress her, feed her, read to her, and teach her the importance of the gospel and prayer.  The Lord has chosen me to be the lucky woman to get to be called "Lexi's Mommy" and have this amazing child in my life.

The thing I have always thought would be difficult, and what I have often struggled with was how to know what Lexi wants and needs.  Without being able to tell me, "Mommy I am hungry," or "Mommy, this is what I want," it seems to be a guessing game.  So I decided when Lexi was around 6 months old to try to teach her some of the Baby Signs to make it easier, not just for me but for Lexi too, to communicate with me and her dad.

At first she didn't seem very interested and it was difficult to get her to use the signs.  She is a smart little thing, and I could tell she understood what I was trying to get her to do, but she was resistant to actually do the motions.  But I told myself to stay consistent and hopefully she would catch on.

As time went on, Lexi started to realize that when she wanted or needed something it was easy for me to do exactly as she was requesting if she would use her signs, so she would, here and there, start to respond with the signs that I had been using with her.  Now she uses about 5 different signs on a regular basis, and is still learning some new ones.





She is talking here and there as well, mostly just repeating things we ask her to say.  Here are a few of the words she says....I couldn't get all of them in before her attention was lost to something WAY more interesting than mom with a camera ;)


There are so many things in life that I know I have to teach her, but for now I am enjoying the little things in life that make her smile.  She is amazing and I am so blessed to be her mommy.




No comments:

Post a Comment